Friday, May 22, 2015

SDN48 - Next Encore

I still wonder what would happen if they decided to reboot SDN. I actually think it'd be a pretty good idea. In AKB there's a lot of members that really should move on. I know that sounds horrible to say because they probably enjoy what they do or they would have left by now. If SDN was rebooted though, those members could be transferred and still get to do what they love and AKB could allow more younger members to take the reins. They wouldn't have to do the super sexy image. They could always try something different.

This album is a Best Of album and includes all of the songs from all of their singles (except their final one).

Track #1, Gagaga: The first song I heard from SDN48. I remembering immediately being interested in the group because they were doing electropop instead of the more typical stuff. Then I promptly forgot about the group for no reason until about a year ago lol. Last year I kind of got into the mood of "Buy everything 48G related on ebay" and bought a couple of SDN's singles and really liked them. After getting this album, Gagaga has kind of taken a backseat for me. I still like it, but it's not even close to the best that SDN has to offer. The whispery vocals kind of undermine the song. I really don't understand why that type of vocal is considered "sexy" because it sounds silly to me. 4/5.

Track #2, Kodoku na Runner: This song has become my favorite SDN song by a wide margin. It has such an 80s feel to it. The first thing I thought of when hearing this song was actually Bon Jovi's Runaway. They don't sound alike at all, but they have the same overall feel to them when you listen to the songs. I'd love to see one of the 48s (or heck, even H!P) do a song like this again. 5/5.

Track #3, Eros no Trigger: This song really fits their image. Pulsing beat, sensual feel, good vocals. These type of vocals fit better for "sexy" themes than the annoying whisper ones like in Gagaga. It's not one of my favorites from them, but it's a strong song. 4/5.

Track #4, Sado e Wataru: I like how this song sounds like a mix between Gagaga and a typical AKB song. The big issue with this song though is that it seems to go nowhere. From the verses to the chorus the song is the same tone the whole time except for the end where the chorus kicks up a bit. 3.5/5.

Track #5, Ai, Chuseyo: Chuseyo is a Korean word right? I've never fully understood why SDN tried to release stuff/promote in Korea. Sure their music was closer to K-pop than the rest of 48s, but their image/concept wouldn't have worked in Korea. Going off of that, this is probably their most "K-pop" sounding song. The annoying whisper vocals are back though. I could picture Girl's Day or Sistar doing this song easily. 4/5.

Track #6, Tengoku no Door wa 3kaime no Bell de Aku: I love songs that have a Latin feel to them. SDN really pulls off this style of music. When the chorus kicks in, the song just because incredible. Their vocals sound really impressive together. 5/5.

Track #7, Awajishima no Tamanegi: This is one of those guilty pleasure kind of songs lol. It's so silly (the chanting parts especially) but it's so incredibly catchy. It reminds me a lot of early 2000s A*Teens/similar groups material. It's one of their more idol-ish songs, but it works so perfectly for them. 5/5.

Track #8, Ai yo, Ugokanaide: This song is actually a solo by member Reiko Nishikunihara. The song is a ballad, but it's not nearly as boring as most 48G ballads. Her vocals are very beautiful and you can feel emotion in the song. It's still not something I would listen to on a regular basis, but this is more what I want out of ballads. 4/5.

Track #9, Min Min Min: This single is practically the successor of Gagaga. It's EDM with the annoying whispery vocals. Just like Gagaga, this song could be vastly improved if they sung it differently. I personally prefer Gagaga to this as well. This sounds like a cheap knockoff of that single. 3.5/5.

Track #10, Onedari Champagne: This is my absolute favorite SDN song (excluding their stage songs...haven't heard that CD yet.) It's so catchy and anthemic. Always really makes me want to go get a drink...even though I think champagne tastes terrible xD. 5/5.

Track #11, Abazure: This is one of those songs that I've listened to from an album, but forgot existed. In the case of this song, I don't know why I can never remember it exists because it's pretty good. It's more what I wanted from Gagaga and Min Min Min. It also reminds me a little of Kataomoi Finally (which I LOVE). It's unfortunate that it's such an unmemorable song. 4.5/5.

Track #12, Everyday Katyusha: AKB48 cover. AKB48's is also better.

Track #13, Kudokinagara Azabu Juuban (ft. Mino Monta): This song is a little weird to me. I mean, I get it. I do. Still weird. Even though the subject matter to me is awkward, the song itself sounds really great. The girls' vocals are fantastic. Probably one of their best releases vocally. Even the guy sounds good in the chorus. I don't care for the lines he does solo, but his voice blends well with the girls. The jazzy sound of the song works well with the theme. 4/5.

Track #14, Yaritagariya-san: When I first started to listen to SDN, this song immediately stood out to me. I would seriously love it if any of the 48s now would release a song like this. Bokutachi wa Tatakawanai would be SO much better with a bassline like this. This is the type of song they should have gone with for a single. It sounds like a mix of K-pop (like 2009-2012 K-pop) & 48G. 5/5.

Track #15, Gamjatang Bojou: This song has the same jazzy sound and overall feel that Kudokinagara does. Their vocals are very nice in this song as well. It does almost sound like a copy of Kudokinagara though. 4/5.

Track #16, Cachaca de Jihaku Suru: Another song that has a Latin feel much like Tengoku no Door. I do wish they had released a single with a Latin sound. Something like J=J's Hadaka no Kiss turned into SDN style would have been cool. It's too bad they disbanded. This is one of those rare songs where I really enjoy the verses, but the chorus falls flat. I don't know what it is about the chorus, but it just doesn't work for me. 3.5/5.

Track #17, 1 Gallon no Ase: The only new song on the album. Except for the AKB cover, this is probably the most idol track on the entire CD. It's super catchy though. I could picture AKB releasing this as one of their title tracks. In fact, it sounds a lot like Kibouteki Refrain. 4/5.

Next Encore (Audio) [Note: not all tracks on playlist]

It's still a shame that SDN disbanded. They really had some great songs and I think they should have released more than one stage and one album (which is really just a compilation.) For this CD, there really isn't a song that I would skip. Certain songs are stronger than others, but as a whole the album is one of my favorite 48G releases. 4.5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment