Monday, May 11, 2015

Candy Kiss - Koisuru Candy Kiss

So this was an impulse purchase from CDJapan because I don't like ordering just one CD at a time lol. I first heard of Candy Kiss on Hello! Online (I think...it's been awhile). Someone posted their Tinker Bell video and I thought it was cute so I decided to keep tabs on them. Chose to buy this single first because it's their first one and might as well start from the beginning.

If you've never heard of Candy Kiss, they are a three member group currently and are set to release their first album in July. At the time of this single's release, they had six members. If you want to know more you can check out this site: Candy Kiss

. It's really well put together and gives more information than I know off the top of my head.

The title track is Koisuru Candy Kiss. So the song is autotuned to death (not sure if it was fully intentional like a Perfume thing or not), but it's kind of cute. At least the company it trying something different. It actually reminds me a lot of the really indie K-pop groups except with young Japanese vocals. It's not a song I'd actively recommend because it's really not that great, but it's a good guilty pleasure type of song. I like that instead of going the generic idol route, they're kind of doing a slightly EDM, Perfume-y, bright pop song. Again, not great, but refreshing after hearing a bazillion other indie idols going for the generic songs. The music video is so adorably low budget. The dance shot outfits are kind of ugly though...they remind me of something a toddler would wear. 3.5/5.

The single's B-side is Nee...Suki. Another song that is autotuned to death, but it has a really funky sound to it that reminds me of a more indie Galette. I don't find this one as entertaining as the title track, but again it's something different than the usual. I like how it has an electro undertone in the song. In this song, more so than the title track, it seems that they were going for the Perfume route. I can't remember what their newer songs sound like at the moment, but I think that if they kept up with this style it would sound better with older vocals. This was 2012 & I'm pretty sure that the girls were super young at the time of this release. 3/5.

Nee Suki (Audio)

Yes. This super indie Japanese idol group is on Spotify. It shocked me too when I saw it.

Even though this release isn't the greatest thing out there, it's still kind of cute. Tinker Bell is better (and I'll feature it once I receive the CD), but for a really young group (at the time), it's something different. 3/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment