Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Berryz Kobo - Aa, Yo ga Akeru

I'm sure everyone's sick of all my posting recently lol. The reason I'm posting SO MUCH STUFF is because my semester ended and I have a week off from work so I'm using this time to catch up on my list of things to be reviewed.

I still find it strange that Berryz is actually gone. I knew it was coming before the announcement and I wasn't emotional when they left, but the fact that they're not there anymore is such a weird feeling. I'm glad that they're all doing what they want to though. I heard that Miyabi was thinking of putting together a group of her own much like Reina has with Lovendor. I think that's pretty cool.

The title track for this single is Aa, Yo ga Akeru. This single has always ranked fairly low among Berryz's releases for me. When it was released, I knew who Berryz were, but I really only cared about Morning Musume. Actually, when I saw the video, I was like "why are they dressed in nightgowns they look stupid." The Berryz I had known were the ones who released Special Generation and them suddenly being adults threw me off (it hadn't really clicked in my head that they had been a group for YEARS before hand yet), so I wasn't too impressed with them "all of a sudden" doing something "sexy". Coming forward to now, I still think it's one of my least favorite Berryz singles. The disco-ish/EDM-ish beat in the chorus is nice, but as a whole the song almost feels like it doesn't flow well. All of the adlibs from Miyabi in the bridge don't help it's case either. She can sing wonderfully, but it just doesn't work in the song. The video is still weird for me to watch. Sometimes it's hard to shake first impressions. What I do like with the video is the sets. I think this is what H!P had been missing (and are starting to work back in). Quality settings. Because let's face it, it's not like H!P is the only company that does dance shot + closeups. It's not that uncommon. H!P's problem is they have crappy set design. Country Girl's MVs were a step in the right direction. 3.5/5.

The B-side of this single is Otona ni wa Naritakunai Hayaku Otona ni Naritai. Really long title lol. I think this should have been the title track. It fits with the more "cool" song theme they were going for at this time. It would've made a great follow up to Ai no Dangan. It's got that electro-ish/rock sound. 4.5/5.

Although this isn't one of my favorite Berryz singles, it does have its positives. 4/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment