Sunday, May 10, 2015

NMB48 - Kitagawa Kenji

Two NMB's in a row! I've always viewed Kitagawa Kenji the end of the first era of NMB. It's the single right before the release of their first album and it's the single released before I got into 48G.

The title track is Kitagawa Kenji. I think it's neat how the song's title is the name of a staff member. When I first heard the song, I wrote it off as being another generic J-pop song. I still think it's a generic J-pop song, but it's SUCH an earworm. Probably one of 48G's catchiest idol pop tunes. Even though the video concept has been done to death, I still think it fits the concept perfectly. The bubblegum pink set with the bubbly dresses is so cute. 5/5.

The first B-side is In-goal, found on all of the regular editions. I'm not going to rate this song because I've never heard the full studio version and can't find it, only live performances. From the live below (starts around 3:30), it sounds like a typical J-pop song, but it is catchy.

The next B-side is Hoshizora no Caravan by Shirogumi found on the Type A and Theater editions. I like the use of the violins? in the song (or similar instrument/soundboard item), but the song as a whole is pretty uneventful. I actually want to start singing Kitagawa Kenji again at the slight build up before the chorus because they sound similar to me. The video's cute but the beginning is too long. 3/5.

The next B-side is Renai Higai Todoke by Akagumi found on the Type B and Theater editions. Now this song is memorable. When I first got into 48G, I had always assumed that Shirogumi was the "cool" unit and Akagumi was the "cutesy" unit. After going through most of the 48G singles, I realize that I was pretty wrong and it's almost the other way around. I don't even remember what gave me that impression. I love the "echoing" of lines between the girls in the song. One thing I do wish is that the girls' vocals were more powerful in the song. They sound so light and airy and I think the song would be better with stronger vocals. I'm not quite certain what's going on in the video. I mean, I get it, I just don't understand what it has to do with the song. The red dresses of the dance shot are so gorgeous though. I'd love to own one....and I don't even like dresses. 4.5/5.

The next B-side is Fuyushougun no Regret by Teppoutai found on the Type C edition. The song is a disappointment. It's a generic idol track and not in a good way. There is absolutely nothing that stands out about it. Nothing to make it memorable in any way. So I don't think the concept for the video fits the song at all, but for once, a super long video is actually interesting. I just wish the song was more like UZA/Beginner so it would actually fit the video. 3/5.

The final B-side is Nemuku Naru Made Hitsuji wa Detekonai found on the theater edition. I love how the translation for this is "The Sheep Don't Come Till I Get Sleepy" (According to Generasia), but I get sleepy trying to listen to this song xD. It's a very slow ballad in the verses & kind of picks up for the chorus. Even though the pick up is a little unexpected at the first chorus, it still only goes to a slow midtempo. Just not my kind of song. 3/5.

This is a fairly standard J-pop single, but the title track alone makes it worth a listen. Sometimes standard and generic songs are better than innovation. 3.5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment