Tuesday, May 12, 2015

C-ute - Tokai no Hitorigurashi/Ai tte Motto Zanshin

Pretty sure I reviewed this one way back on my old blog. Still mad at myself for not at least saving what I had written....cause now I have to do it all over again lol.

The first of the two A-side is Tokai no Hitorigurashi. I've never been a huge fan of this song. It really sounds like a retooled The Matenrou Show. This single also was a disappointment because it came right after the incredible Kanashiki/Adam to Eve. The music video is pretty good though. This single is the point where it seems like H!P started to experiment with C-ute's videos. The set is awesome and the girls look stunning. 3.5/5.

The second A-side is Ai tte Motto Zanshin. Much like Tokai, this song isn't one of their better ones. I only find it slightly better than Tokai because of its verses. The verses are pretty epic. Which is why it's so sad that the chorus is different. It's a really jarring transition from the verses to the chorus. Usually when Tsunku does weirdly structured songs it works for me, but this just is a little too different in style between the two parts to me. It's like the song is trying to be funky (the beat in the beginning & bridge), mature pop/rock-dance (verses), and idol pop (chorus) all at the same time. I appreciate that they were attempting a new location with the video, but dancing in a run down building singing about love is a bit strange. The outfits are cute though. 3.5/5.

The first B-side is Please Love Me More. Where the title songs fail to impress, the B-sides pick up the slack. Of all of the songs on this song, this should have been a title track. It showcases their mature image and isn't such a dramatic departure from Crazy Kanzen no Otona or Adam to Eve. It's an improvement over those styles. Another example of my belief that Tsunku really learned how to make some fantastic EDM flavored tracks. Looking back at One Two Three or Renai Hunter (even though I love that song to death), they seem so amateur compared to a song like this. 5/5.

The second B-side is Yuuwaku no Kyuujitsu. Can we all just take a moment to appreciate how amazing that keyboard line is in that runs through the song? Seriously. The people in charge of deciding the title tracks got it all wrong with this release. This one isn't as amazing as Please Love Me More, but it's still really great. Probably my favorite B-sides C-ute has ever done. My only issue is that the chorus feels to bright compared to the verses. Not as extreme as with Ai tte, but still throws the song off a bit. 4.5/5.

The promoted songs of this single are disappointing, but the B-sides drag this release up to something that people should take notice of. 4/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment