Monday, November 17, 2014

Morning Musume - Tiki Bun/Shabadabadoo/Mikaeri Bijin

I'm positive no one wants to keep reading about Morning Musume after that last post right? Haha, well I promise this will be MUCH shorter. Also, yes, I realize their name is now "Morning Musume '14". Screw that. Still hate it, still will never use it when referring to them. Especially because it will be changing every year.

These double/triple A-sides are beginning to get ridiculous. I'm already not a fan of the double A-sides, but triples are just pathetic. Just give MVs to your B-sides and call it a day. But, anyway. The first A-side of this release is Tiki Bun, which is very much a song that fits in with the EDM style that they have been in. The funny thing is, even though Morning Musume is my favorite group, I don't think that they've had the strongest singles of the year at all. Tiki Bun is really awesome and great, but it just feels like more of the same. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE EDM and will be incredibly upset if MM just drops that style, but where are the Chikyuus and Senobis for MM? In fact this song seemed like a let down when I first heard it. Now, however, it's probably my third favorite MM single this year, behind Toki Sora & Password (although it's REALLY close to beating Password). What is a Tiki Bun anyway? I wonder what goes through Tsunku's mind when he creates these songs because I'd love to know what the heck he was doing/thinking when the words "Tiki Bun" popped into his head. I really love the music video for this song. Even though it's essentially just a dance shot, the setting is great and the girls look gorgeous. I've always thought that Haruka was a very pretty girl, but beyond that I didn't see anything special about her....until this video. The part around 1:39 in the video just stunned me. She is just oozing charisma in that part and I just cannot understand why she's been shoved to the back in most of their songs. She should be a front girl. 5/5

Tiki Bun MV:

The next A-side is Sayumi Michishige's solo song. I was really dreading typing this part because I really have nothing good to say about the song. It's just not good. Like at all. Sorry Sayumi fans. Sayumi seems like such a nice person and she is a lot of the reason why MM has been able to stay afloat after everyone of the old gens left but she just cannot sing at all and this song is kinda painful to the ears. If she had been autotuned to death like in other songs it would've been okay but ouch this song. Well actually I can say something nice about the song. I really do like the lyrics. I love how they are about her (and how she even acknowledges that she can't sing...gotta give her credit for being okay with that). Even though I hate the song, the video is adorable! SO PINK! And so Sayumi. She looks stunning in the video and she looks so happy. 2/5.

Shabadabadoo MV:

The final A-side is Sayumi's send off song, sung by the remaining members after her graduation (excluding 12th gen of course). The song is very good although I was expecting something different after hearing that it was going to be "enka" influenced. I was expecting something a little different but this song is much more pop than enka. The music video for this is absolutely stunning. I applaud everyone that had a hand in making it. I still cannot get through this video without crying. I never much cared for Sayumi, and I actually can't wait until she graduates so the completely reborn Musume can begin, but it's so hard watching this. Seeing them read the letters, feeling the emotion. I know that for us as fans, we can have differing opinions on whoever in the group and whatever goes on in the group and it doesn't actually affect us, but for those girls, this is real. Someone that they truly care about is leaving their group and it's going to be sad and painful and difficult. Sometimes I think we all need to step back and think about that. 5/5

Mikaeri Bijin MV:

Even with Sayumi's solo song, this release is still incredibly solid. It's got a little something for everyone: The EDM fans, the more traditional idol pop fans, and for the ballad lovers and those in general who just wanted to see things switched up. 4/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment