Wednesday, December 23, 2015

25 Days Of Christmas Countdown Day #23: K-pop Groups to Watch in 2016

So this is slightly different than the other posts I've done. I want to highlight three groups that debuted this past year that I'm looking forward to seeing more of in 2016. I should also say that I likely won't get tomorrow's post up for tomorrow. I'll be running around everywhere because of the busy-ness of Christmas Eve, but I hope I can get it up.

Group #1: Oh My Girl

Oh My Girl is an eight member group that debuted in April of 2015 with their first mini album, Oh My Girl. The lead single from the mini album was Cupid, a cute track somewhere between an early SNSD and KARA's recent material sound wise.

In October, Oh My Girl came back with their second mini album, Closer, with the lead song being the title track. Closer is a mid-tempo track with an ethereal sounding EDM beat, reminiscent of what you would hear on Ellie Goulding's Halcyon. With this track, it seems as if Oh My Girl has lit a fire in the international K-pop community, gaining the song a lot of praise for an offering from a new girl group.

Oh My Girl hadn't managed to capture my attention with their debut track, but blew me away with their comeback. There will be a lot of hype for the follow up to Closer, and this makes Oh My Girl a group to watch out for in the coming year.

Group #2: Twice

Twice is a nine member group that debuted in October of 2015 with their first mini album, The Story Begins. The lead single from the mini album was Like Ooh-Ahh, an upbeat pop track which is almost like a combo of early 4Minute and early SNSD.

Twice's debut had been highly anticipated as they began on the JYP Entertainment survival show Sixteen. As they have a lot of momentum behind them and they are yet to release a follow up, they are another group to look out for in 2016.

Group #3: CLC

CLC is a five member group that debuted in March of 2015 with their first mini album, First Love. The lead single from the mini album was Pepe, an upbeat and colorful track that showed off the girls' charms.

After the release of their debut CD, the girls made their comeback with the digital single Eighteen in April. The song is a synth filled pop track catchy pop track that follows Pepe nicely. While not a true comeback, the release served to generate hype for the next mini album which was released in May, with the title track Like. This song is a peppy cute track in contrast to their first release.

Although CLC failed to impress me with their comeback, I still am looking forward to what they can come out with next. I have hopes that they'll rise to the level of 4Minute's music. As they have gone the longest of the three groups with no comeback, their return hopefully with happen in early 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment