Saturday, April 25, 2015

Teen Top - Teen Top Class Addition

I don't think I've mentioned much music by male artists on here have I? In fact, I think this might be my first post dedicated to male artists. I don't know why, but I generally prefer female singers over male ones. Just personal preference. I used to be quite into K-pop male groups (for obvious reasons....grew out of it a few years ago), but I still keep tabs on some of them. Teen Top being one.

Track #1, Lovefool: This is the repackage's lead track. Up to the point of this song's release, I found all of their title tracks pretty spectacular for a boy group. This song doesn't reach those heights for me. The reason is that it's just not really my kind of song. It's a sweet midtempo of the generic K-pop variety. I just think it's boring honestly. 3/5.

Track #2, Rocking: As this album came out the year after I stopped following K-pop passionately, I didn't listen to their title track from this album until a little while after it was released. I regretted that decision to let it sit in my 'Watch Later' list on YouTube. I really love this track and it's probably my second favorite Teen Top song (most favorite being Miss Right). It reminded me a lot of the EDM-Kpop stuff of 2010-2012 that I got into Kpop for. 5/5.

Track #3, Don't I: This was like the pre-release single right? It sounds like it was but I can't remember at the moment. Not certain if it's just my speakers/headphones or the fact that I'm really tired & not fully focused, but does the song sound quiet to anyone else? It sounds like someone forgot to boost the volume of the studio track before sending the CD into production. The song is catchy, but not in a way that will make you remember it after it's over. It's one of those songs that you'll sing/dance along to while it's playing, but then you'll wonder why you were so into it. 3.5/5.

Track #4, Oh! Good: Another song very much like Rocking. You'd assume that because I enjoy Rocking so much, that I'd like this. But that's not the case. Like the song before it, the vocals seem a little muddled. This song also sounds like an updated version of U-Kiss's Binggeul Binggeul...right down to the vocal styles. It's a little annoying to me because U-Kiss used to be one of my all time favorite groups & I overplayed that song to death so I can't separate that song and this one. 3.5/5.

Track #5, Date: Ah, finally got to the token boring K-pop ballad found on every K-pop CD. I don't think there's a K-pop ballad (besides 2NE1 and maybe Chocolat) that I can stand to listen to & enjoy. They all sound the same. Really, they do. 3/5.

Track #6, Rock Star (ft. Maboos): Not a big fan of the style of the verses. The autotuned pieces remind me way too much of T-Pain. The chorus on the other hand was handled well with this type of style. The anthemic style of the chorus is really sing-along. The dubstep-ish bridge doesn't work at all with this song either. I thought that that crazy dubstep trend had subsided in K-pop by the time this was released but I guess not. Their image doesn't really fit the lyrics though...I think at this point in their career they need a name change because Teen Top just sounds silly as the artist for this song. 4/5.

Track #7, Teen Top Class: Pretty much only an outro.

Teen Top Class Addition (Audio):

Even the CDs that I personally own don't help me to think that K-pop hasn't gone down in quality significantly in the past few years. Maybe that's true, maybe K-pop is bad now, maybe I just grew out of my addiction to it besides a song here and there. I don't know. What I do know is that this album is really just one good song surrounding by all mediocre ones. If you are a huge K-pop lover, you'll enjoy this CD. No doubt in my mind. But other than that, it's really just an average album. 3.5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment