Saturday, April 25, 2015

Asuka Kuramochi - Itsumo Soba ni

So I don't fully understand why she got a solo debut. From what I know it was some horse race betting....thing? This was before I got into AKB48 and I don't know of such an event nowadays so what exactly WAS this? I can't really find much about the event in English.

The title track of this release is Itsumo Soba ni. To be honest, the only reason I bought this CD was because it was only $4 on a CDJapan sale....not because I particularly liked the release. I don't think I'd even heard the song before purchasing it. I don't regret buying it because I'm trying to collect all of the AKB & AKB-affliated songs out there, but the song doesn't appeal to me very much. It's a standard idol pop midtempo/ballad (it feels inbetween the two to me). What does really stand out though is her voice. It's very nice sounding. I've never viewed many of the AKB girls in a favorable light when it comes to vocal ability, but Asuka isn't bad. Good even I'd say. I can't say that I enjoy the music video (because it's a very typical J-pop MV), but the skyline shots are so pretty. Asuka also really looks like an older version of Ryoha Kitagawa from SKE48 (or I guess, Ryoha looks like a younger version of her xD). 3/5.

Itsumo Soba ni MV

The first of the two coupling tracks is Guuzen no Mikata. Really this song seems like just a continuation from the title track. I'm thinking that I'd never truly enjoy any song done solo by Asuka. Her vocals really do fit this type of music and this is absolutely the direction she should have if she releases any more solo stuff, but it's just not my kind of music. 3/5.

Sorry about this not being the full actual track....Japanese songs aren't easy to find to listen to on the internet.

Guuzen no Mikata Instrumental

The second of the coupling tracks is actually an AKB48 cover, Himawari. It's a little sad that the most upbeat song of the single is just a cover. Her vocals fit very well with it though. 3.5/5.

Again, couldn't find her version online, but here is the AKB48 version.

Himawari (AKB48 Boku no Taiyou stage)

Honestly, this single isn't for me. I don't regret the purchase cause it was cheap and goes toward my collection, but if it wasn't AKB related I would never have given any of the songs a passing glance. If you're really into the slower, more mellow J-pop stuff, then this release is for you. 3/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment