Sunday, April 12, 2015

Girls' Generation-TTS (Taetiseo) - Twinkle

I kind of wish that Girls' Generation would do more subgroups. It would be interesting. As for this subgroup, I always had found it curious that they chose Seohyun over Jessica. When I was really into K-pop, they were the three that seemed to be at the forefront of the group. Although, now I guess the exclusion of Jessica makes a little more sense. I also always figured this was going to be a one-off subgroup, until they came back last year to my surprise.

Track #1, Twinkle: Surprisingly, the best song on the album is actually the lead track. Usually for me there is a song on the album that is miles better than what was chosen as the single, but this album certainly features the best choice for the lead track. It's catchy and it really showcases the girls' vocals. One criticism I do have is that this song and the album don't really deviate from the main group's style. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, I personally prefer subgroups to have something about them that really showcases something different than what the main group has to offer. For example, Orange Caramel and After School. After School tends to showcase more mature, sexy tracks while Orange Caramel does funky and crazy. 5/5.

Track #2, Baby Steps: As much as I think their vocals are very nice in this song, it's just a standard K-pop ballad. It's nothing interesting to me. 3/5.

Track #3, OMG (Oh My God): This song is very close to the sound of Twinkle. It's got that jazzy pop sound to it. What I do like about it is that their vocals change key in the second chorus and it really makes the song for me. It doesn't stay in the predictable Twinkle sound, but deviates enough to make it really stand out as its own song. 5/5.

Track #4, Library: Ugh. Songs about libraries (not really but yeah xD).....if I ever have to deal with a library again it'll be too soon. I have five large papers due at the end of the semester (of which three are 10+ pages) and I've been spending so much time on the university library's website requesting articles and researching. Blah. Avoiding it with this xD Even though the song is reminding me off all of the work I'm putting off, it's a very nice song. It still sounds exactly like something the full group would release, but that doesn't stop it from being an enjoyable song. Taeyeon's voice really carries this subunit's songs. It's just very pleasant to listen to. 4/5.

Track #5, Good-Bye Hello: I swear I've heard this song before. I'm also pretty sure that I have the other song that reminds me of it, but I can't remember the name. The music of the song is from something but I just can't place it. I think it's an old song. In SNSD's discography, it reminds me a of a mix between Lazy Girl and Vitamin. It's a really feel good song. 4/5.

Track #6, Love Sick: Another very standard K-pop ballad. Nothing really stands out about it besides their vocals. 3/5.

Track #7, Checkmate: What I appreciate about this song is that it's an upbeat one without the jazzy pop sound. It's good to have some variety in a mini album like this. That being said, it's not as great as either Twinkle or OMG. It does serve as a great ending track though. Especially with the cheering parts in the song. 4/5.

Twinkle (Audio):

For the subgroup's first offering, it's very good. Again, I still would have liked to see a deviation from the SNSD style in at least one song on the album. To me, these songs sound like they would fit perfectly on any SNSD album. 4/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment