Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Team Syachihoko - Himatsubushi

So I was originally going to ask if it was Syachihoko or Shachihoko officially, but then I saw what their official YT romanized it to so that's the official way in the title I guess xD To be honest I bought this album purely because I liked Ii Kurashi and I had enough CDJapan points to get it for free so I decided why the heck not. They're a sister group of Momoiro Clover Z and Shiritsu Ebisu Chuugaku and I really love MCZ so I was hoping that this CD would be pretty good too. So before sitting down to listen to this today, the only song I had heard was Ii Kurashi. So this was an interesting experience. Everything written here is my first reactions so it's very weird xD

The tracks that are on YT will be linked in a playlist at the end.

Track #1, Space Himatsubushi: So I was NOT expecting the "rapped" intro by the dude. That was interesting. I have a feeling that this album will be hard to get through because of the girls' vocals. MCZ has the same problem, but the songs are so great as stand-alones so hopefully Shachihoko will too. This song certainly has the off the wall-ness that MCZ has, except more. I kind of like it. It's weird but really cool. 4/5.

Track #2, Shuto Iken Keikaku: Yep. They're definitely like MCZ. I really like this song. It's so un-idol pop it's great. I've been missing out on this group. The only gripe I have is their vocals. The song goes for 5:30 so it does drag with their vocals a bit. However, I couldn't stand MCZ's Mugen no Ai at first because of vocals and now it's one of my favorite songs (and most played song) of all time, so I expect this to meet a similar fate. In the music videos.....aren't this essentially the same outfits as in Ii Kurashi? This came first though. Hm. Wonder why they used the same-ish look. The music video contains lots of signs in Japanese I can't read, and what I'm assuming to be pictures that have something to do with the words which I obviously don't get. 4/5.

Track #3, Dakishimete Anthem: Hugging/Embracing Anthem? Well hugs are good and I think they do deserved to be praised more often xD Semi-kidding of course. These titles sure go along with the interesting titles from other Stardust groups. I really hate to keep comparing them to MCZ because they're their own group, but I think it's a pretty major compliment to say that a song sounds like something that could've fit on 5th Dimension. Gosh this purchase was SO worth it. The "video" for this song on their official channel is essentially a dance practice video with costumes, but the costumes are adorable. 5/5.

Track #4, Ndatte!!: Syachihoko's answer to Babymetal? Kind of I guess, felt like it with that intro. So far this is probably my least favorite track, but it's still pretty darn good. Now that I think about it for a second, it feels more like Love Live's After School Navigators than Babymetal, which is still awesome. (Shameless plug alert: English ID for Love Live [595559611], Japanese ID for Love Live [345154852]. Both my screen names are Kyrie...except it's written in Hiragana in the Japanese which would be Kirie but yeah xD Add me if you'd like xD)

Track #5, Ai no Chikyuusai: As soon as this song started I knew I'd love it. I'm a sucker for anything even remotely electro sounding. Not sure if this is better than Ii Kurashi or not, but it's pretty close. I'm only five songs into this album and I'm super impressed. I swear I heard a bit of Pitbull's "Hotel Room" beat in here too....which although that is a terrible song, the beat is kind of cool. I have NO clue what's going on in the music video though. And I thought that MCZ had weird videos. This is just insanity. Not quite Kyary Pamyu Pamyu insanity, but close. 5/5.

Track #6, Ii Kurashi: This is already an automatic 5. Both song and video. I was incredibly impressed when I heard this song for the first time. I've been trying to branch out to other Japanese girl groups over the past year and really haven't found a great deal of ones I actually think anything of. So I love when I come across that one song that just completely blows me away. This was one of those moments. 5/5.

Track #7, I Don't Care: First thought in my head was Fall Out Boy's song (fantastic song btw). This is another weak song for the album. However, their "weak" songs are incredibly strong compared to a lot of other group's discographies so it feels wrong to label this as weak. It's actually really growing on me the longer the song goes. Dubstep that ACTUALLY WORKS?! K-pop please take note! 4/5.

Track #8, Akamiso Blood: This song is very short for a J-pop song. This song is SO COOL and SO DIFFERENT! It features a beat boxing pianist. I'm actually surprised that they were able to pull this off. The video in the playlist is from the beatboxer's channel & it's a concert video and it's pretty cool to watch. 4.5/5.

Track #9, Colors: Well this is for certain the weakest track on the album. After the previous eight tracks, heading into pretty normal territory for Japanese girl groups is strange, but I guess you do have to have a track that isn't completely off the wall. I actually like the track for being a bit of a combo breaker. I feel that this was probably a good place to dial back the crazy. 3.5/5.

Track #10, Akeboshi: Nope, spoke too soon. THIS is my least favorite. Colors was catchy in it's own way, this is just a ballad. But at least it's not the normal ballad that you'd expect. It's not a generic idol pop ballad that makes you want to slam your head into the wall. Maybe it's because of the pretty violins. 3/5.

Track #11, Yoroshiku Jinrui: One of the girls in this group seems to have a really strong voice? Is it yellow girl? (Don't really know who the girls are xD). With this song we're kind of half in the crazy and in the typical, which at this point is okay. Perhaps this album won't suffer like 5th Dimension does with playing through the whole thing in one sitting. As much as I absolutely adore 5th Dimension, it's incredibly difficult to sit through the whole thing unless I'm in the mood for it. Maybe this one will be better to get through more than a couple times. The end of this song reminds me of a Christmas song. The video for this is a cute animation. 3.5/5

Track #12, Country Girl: WHAT? WHAT IS THIS?! Oh my gosh xD This is so great xD Not in a I'll listen to this a million times way, but in a oh my gosh who thought to put THIS together way xD THERE'S A BANJO IN IT haha xD I actually know someone that plays the banjo so this is just strange. I'd actually be completely ok if H!P's new girl group (or revival group whatever) Country Girls sounds like this. 5/5 just for the complete surprise.

Track #13, Otome Juken Sensou: YES. The album ends on the perfect high note. I just really have no more words. 5/5.

Playlist (doesn't include all of the tracks, just official videos)

Wow. I cannot believe that this album is as amazing as it is. I'm just sitting here in shock and awe over what a purchase that I just made because I was running out of time to use points turned out to be. Someone please remind me to buy things on whims more often. Everyone PLEASE check this album out! It's SO WORTH IT!. 4.5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment