Sunday, December 28, 2014

Charli XCX - True Romance

I think this is my very first post about something non J-pop. Surprising that it's Charli XCX though, not really a huge fan of hers. I got the CD primarily for "You", and "Set Me Free". I don't really know any of the other songs so this should be fun to listen to. I really don't want to talk about the music videos of non Jpop or Kpop acts cause I don't care about the videos for Western pop stars so I won't. The album will be embedded in a Spotify playlist at the end of the post.

Track #1, Nuclear Seasons: Pretty catchy actually. Wasn't sure where it was going to go after the intro, but it really picks up after the first minute. She sounds a lot like Gwen Stefani in this song to me. Feels like updated 80s synthpop. I like it. 4/5.

Track #2, You (Ha Ha Ha): I know this song isn't typical pop so it's probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I love it. I really like how the beat says "You & Me" I thought that was so neat when I first heard it. It's got just the right amount of attitude in the lyrics. 5/5.

Track #3, Take My Hand: She's very alternative, 80s-ish synthpop isn't she? The songs on this album seem to be miles better than what she's been releasing since "Boom Clap" blew up (Break The Rules is ok, London Queen is awful.). This song sounds like something I've heard before, but I can't think of it. 4/5.

Track #4, Stay Away: You know, now that I re-listen to this, it sounds an awful lot like Boom Clap. The lyrics are like the polar opposite though (and Boom Clap is better....). The pre-choruses are the highlight of this song. The production of the song is really awesome. Man I hate using terms like 'awesome' xD. I don't know technical terms or anything about the actual production of music so I can't fully describe what I'm thinking cause it'll sound way worse than 'awesome' if I do xD. 4/5.

Track #5, Set Me Free: The best song on the album. I don't know what about it I like so much. The lyrics are really cool but to be honest in pop music I could care less about lyrics (unless they're really offensive or something like that) and the production in this song isn't as great as the earlier track. I don't know. Sometimes songs just click....like for example I really love AKB's Labrador Retriever, even though it is one of their most generic A-sides ever. Go figure xD 5/5.

Track #6, Grins: Well the music is getting a little too alternative for my taste. It sounds nice, it's just not really my thing. Her vocals help to cover the production a bit. Yeah...this song is certainly not my thing...the dissonant vocals in the verse are really annoying. At least it's unique. 2.5/5.

Track #7, So Far Away: Yup, it's getting way too out there for me. This time the vocals aren't helping. I find it very interesting that she's marketed as kind of an Avril Lavigne-esque popstar now, yet this album is sort of experimental for a pop artist. I personally don't care for it, but it's different. 2/5.

Track #8, Cloud Aura: Ok now we're back to something a little easier to listen to. The beginning reminded me a lot of Ellie Goulding. I kind of like this. The rapper actually sounds pretty cool too. Not a big fan of rap so I'm a bit surprised that I like her better in the song than Charli. 3/5.

Track #9, What I Like: This is probably the most radio pop feeling song so far. It's still a little out there, but this one I could actually envision getting moderate airplay. Just put Iggy Azalea on the track as a featured rapper and it'd completely work. 3/5.

Track #10, Black Roses: I could see this one working on pop radio too. Maybe I'm being too optimistic with these thoughts, but the chorus especially would sound right in place on radio. 4/5.

Track #11, You're The One: I'm actually getting a little tired of listening to this album. There's only so much alternative-ish synthpop I can take before it all starts running together. Or maybe it's because it's 12:30am and I'm very tired. That's probably why. I really shouldn't start these things shortly before midnight. Through this babbling actually the song is getting more catchy, especially in the chorus. 4/5.

Track #12, How Can I: Eh this is another one that's too far out there for me. The tapping sound is too similar to the tap sound from Love Live that I can't get that out of my mind. It's actually really annoying. 2/5.

Track #13, Lock You Up: This seems like a really long album even though it's only about average in length. I like that it ends on a brighter note musically. The more subdued synthpop of the last couple tracks was wearing thin. This is one of the better songs on the album for me. 4/5.

Really not certain what I think of this album. I think it's great that it's different for the realm of pop, but at the same time, the majority of the songs are too out there for my personal taste. Not sure if this was a good purchase or not. Well at least I have You & Set Me Free now. 3/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment