Monday, June 1, 2015

Tomomi Kasai - Masaka

I've never listened to Kasai's material before today. I bought the single because I got it for cheap on eBay. I always like the posts that I do when I don't have any clue what I'm going into. I like the first reaction kind of thing. Not sure if anyone else does though.

The title track for the release is Masaka. This song is absolutely nothing like I expected it to be. Tomomi's image is a sexy one (to me, I don't know what she was like in AKB), so to hear a typical idol pop track is strange. The song is okay at best. I'm not a big fan of her voice. It's too nasally for me. The music video's nothing special. She looks really pretty though. 3/5.

Masaka MV

The first B-side is Watashi no Hikari found on all versions of the single. It's also the only other original song from the single. As everyone knows by now, I'm not a fan of ballads at all (particularly 48G ones). However, this isn't nearly as boring as your typical 48G ballad. I think the problem with those is the amount of voices in a song make it difficult to hear emotion in any of the singers' voices. I still don't really care for Tomomi's voice in this song, but at least she sounds like she's not boring out of her skull while recording this. The pickup for the chorus is nice. It almost felt like it was going to become this big power ballad and I was disappointed it didn't head in that direction. I guess her vocals wouldn't work with a power ballad though. 3.5/5.

The next B-side is Dakishimeraretara found on the Type A & regular editions of the single. It's a solo cover of a song she centered on Team K's stage Saka Agari. Now this kind of song suits her voice better. It's got an R&B feel to it and I think that type of music suits her.

Stage Performance (Not Solo):

The final B-side is Candy found on the Type B and regular editions of the single. It is another solo cover of a song she centered, this time from Team B's stage, Theater no Megami. Like Masaka, I don't think the cutesy image suits here; even if it does suit her voice. I think I'd rather listen to Masaka over this. This is too on the cutesy side for me. 3/5.

Stage Performance (Not Solo):

For me, I'm not a big fan of this release. It's just not something that I would listen to on a regular basis. It's certainly not bad, just not enjoyable to me. 3/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment