Thursday, June 11, 2015

Juice=Juice - Wonderful World/Ça va Ça va?

I'm really excited for J=J's first album to come out. It's way overdue. It also makes me wonder if we'll be getting another single from Juice this year or not. I'd say yes, but there's this lingering thought in the back of my mind that something is going to change about the group in the last half of this year. Now whether that will be a graduation or new members (the most likely scenario), I don't know.

The first A-side is Wonderful World. It makes me so sad that this was JJ's first song for the new year. This is practically generic idol pop 101. It has the potential to be great with the circus/carousel feel in the song, but instead it just goes down the typical idol route. If it didn't have the beat it does I'd think it was a normal song on a 48G release. It's the biggest step backwards of all of the groups since Tsunku hasn't been working on them. In fact, besides C-ute's Gamusha Life, this is the only other song that I wish would just go away. All of the other non-Tsunku songs are actually pretty good because they tend to stick to the H!P style. The music video really isn't much better in helping them stand out. Is it just me or do they all look WAY too happy? Like it's bordering on creepy smile territory. The outfits are beautiful though. Really the only highlight of this song. 3/5.

The second A-side is Ça va Ça va?. Even though they were derailed with Wonderful World, this song helps to make the release not so disappointing. I absolutely love how they when with a French theme for the single. I actually think it would be pretty cool (and would help JJ make a neat identity for themselves) if they became like an "international" group. Not as in trying to become popular, but with each single they should mix Jpop and the musical style of another country like they did here. I don't think I know of any group that does that & it would be just awesome. The song itself is so catchy and it really sets itself apart from the snoozefest that is Wonderful World. What I like about the video is that they're starting to get more creative with props. By actually having scenery. Even if it's just dance shot + closeups, the set looks beautifully styled. 5/5.

It's unfortunate that Wonderful World exists because if it didn't this would be one of JJ's best singles. I hope that the new songs on their album aren't like it or I'll be very disappointed. 3.5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment