Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Selena Gomez & The Scene - When The Sun Goes Down

I've actually never listened to this album the whole way through. At least I don't think I have. I find that odd since it contains some of my favorite tracks ever released by Selena. I'm hoping to find some other songs of the same quality for her final album with The Scene.

Track #1, Love You Like A Love Song: For some reason I kept thinking this was on A Year Without Rain. I was very confused when I started to do that post & this wasn't on the track list. I associate this album with songs like Hit The Lights which are more mainstream dance pop while this sounds like a continuation of Naturally and A Year Without Rain. That's a good thing though. Undoubtedly the best single of her career, I really feel like this song helped to bring her to some public attention for her music. 5/5

Track #2, Bang Bang Bang: It's crazy how great this style works for Selena. I don't know what the heck she is thinking going in the direction that she is with her new single. She can do whatever the heck she wants, but gosh she has such a winning formula with the dance pop stuff. I find the song pretty lyrically immature, but the music of the song saves it. It's probably closer to synthpop than electropop or dance pop. Stylistically, it's close to Love You Like A Love Song which made it an ideal candidate to be a pre-release single. 4.5/5.

Track #3, Who Says: So a funny story about this song. A friend of mine didn't like Selena at all. Like she would mention it whenever she saw her on TV. About a year or so after this came out, she sent me a message about it and how she liked it. Coming into the present, she really likes Selena's music. I've always found that amusing lol. For me, it's not one of my favorites from her. It's okay, I'm just not that into pure pop/pop rock songs anymore. The content of the song is good though. 3.5/5.

Track #4, We Own The Night (ft. Pixie Lott): As a fan of Pixie Lott's music, I had been very excited to hear their collaboration when I saw the tracklist. The song is unfortunately such a let down. It's more pop rock (which is closer to Pixie's style at the time) and it sounds strange coming right after Love Song & Bang. Beyond that, the chorus goes nowhere. It's so flat and lifeless. Pixie's vocals in the song are pointless as well because you can barely hear her in anything over Selena's vocals. 3/5.

Track #5, Hit The Lights: Even though I love her Stars Dance album, this is my absolute favorite Selena song. There really isn't anything super special about it that makes it stand out. It's just a standard dance pop song like everything that you could hear on the radio from like 2010-2012. It just hits me in a way that none of her other songs do. 5/5.

Track #6, Whiplash: Another of my favorite Selena songs. It sounds so much like something Britney would do, but unlike the track before that sounds like Katy, this works. It's like if Toxic was done for Blackout instead of earlier. I swear this is what Toxic would have sounded closer to. Should've been a single. 5/5.

Track #7, When The Sun Goes Down: I had big expectations for this song because the title reminded me a lot of Stars Dance which is one of my favorite songs by her. I don't know what possessed me to think I could be excited over a song by a title. I don't really care for this song. This is something Katy Perry should have done and doesn't suit Selena at all. 3/5.

Track #8, My Dilemma: I guess there had to be a Disney-esque track on the album didn't there (I don't count Who Says as Disney-esque since most pop stars were on that whole "love yourself" train a few years ago.) I don't hate Disney music, in fact quite the opposite, it's just weird when the singles of an album are trying to say "I'm trying to be mature!" but then there's songs on the album that sound like Kiss & Tell. Even though this song doesn't mesh with the album concept well, I like it. It's a catchy tune. 4/5.

Track #9, That's More Like It: Ah. Perhaps I spoke too soon with track #7. This is way more Kiss & Tell. In fact, My Dilemma is much more mature than this. The "make my dinner, bring it to me" line is so cringy. Yikes...spoke too soon again. The bridge is even worse. 3/5.

Track #10, Outlaw: The verses of this song are so promising. They are along the lines of Hit the Lights & Whiplash. Unfortunately, the chorus and bridge fall so flat in comparison. They're just absolutely lifeless. 3.5/5.

Track #11, Middle Of Nowhere: The most disappointing thing about this album is that in a lot of the songs, the verses are so good but the choruses just fall flat or change style too much. This song is just another example of that. It's verses are like a tamer Whiplash, yet the chorus is Kiss & Tell. It's disappointing. 3.5/5.

Track #12, Dices: The Spanish version of Who Says.

I really don't care a whole lot for this album. The songs I like from it are fantastic, but the album as a whole is very average. I was expecting more due to my love for some of the songs on the album. 4/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment