Saturday, March 21, 2015

Avril Lavigne - The Best Damn Thing

In two years this album will be ten years old. That's unbelievable to me. I remember being in sixth grade and having my friend show me the song "Girlfriend" and it becoming very popular among our circle of friends. Interestingly enough even though that song was popular with me when I was younger, I've never actually listened to this album before today. I've heard all of the singles from it and "The Best Damn Thing", but I haven't listened to any of the other album tracks. So this will be fun.

Track #1, Girlfriend: Who else remembers the versions with all the different languages? I do. I remember listening to Open House Party one night and hearing that and being so confused xD Now, this song is no masterpiece. In fact it's probably one of the most cheesy songs I know. However, it's so great in it's way. I love how it doesn't even try to be a serious song. It's the middle school girl in all of us. 5/5.

Track #2, I Can Do Better: The lyrics of this song are still very much in the rebellious teenage vein that Girlfriend is in. The song is just okay to me. She's done the theme multiple times before and has done it better on her earlier albums. It's a fun song and all, but at this point in her career, I would have liked to see some growth. There's nothing wrong with releasing songs like Girlfriend and this as they're all in good fun, but one right after the other when you're practically seven years into your career and you're an adult? Wouldn't be my choice. 3.5/5.

Track #3, Runaway: Maybe I shouldn't focus on lyrics when I listen to Avril's music. I would never have a great deal of good things to say. Much like the first two songs, this still seems immature for her. It's not quite as bad lyrically as I Can Do Better, but still. I enjoy the song as a whole much more than the previous song though. Well, ok, I'll look at it like this. If she's going for the stereotypical rebellious teen lyrics, she's absolutely nailing it. 3.5/5.

Track #4, The Best Damn Thing: And here's where I wonder how I can be such a hypocrite. Ok, maybe not a hypocrite, because I believe that this song's lyrics are just as immature has the earlier songs, but I still really this song....it's from my young teen years and I loved it then so it's kind of got a sentimental factor to it. I can at least say that the annoying cheerleader-esque bridge can go away. 4.5/5.

Track #5, When You're Gone: The lyrics of this aren't much better than the earlier songs, but it certainly is an improvement. Also, the tone of the song makes it feel more mature. Like I said before, my problem with Avril's music isn't so much that the lyrics can be immature, but more with issues of the music. If she had more songs like this between songs like Girlfriend and I Can Do Better it wouldn't be so grating. 4.5/5.

Track #6, Everything Back But You: Oh man the beginning....well the mood from the last song didn't last too long. I know people were complaining about Avril's newest album not being mature, but it's MILES better than what this album is. This is just....no. This should have been on her first album, not her third....especially because Under My Skin was more mature lyrically than this. I've been able to look past the lyrics to like the song for everything so far but this one is ridiculously cringe worthy. Ouch. 2.5/5.

Track #7, Hot: I remember never liking this song in the past. Don't remember why, but I'm curious if I still feel the same way now. Well, I like it more now and it doesn't have that super annoying teen drama feel to it. It sounds really familiar as a song though. I'm thinking Kelly Clarkson? Maybe from her All I Ever Wanted era? Can't tell. I'm not sure why I hated this. It's not horrible at all. 4/5.

Track #8, Innocence: Wow the lyrics to this are completely different than I was expecting. I like this. I have a feeling the second half of this album is going to be a lot better than the first. This is closer to the Avril we have now and is a nice progression from the rebellious teen image. 4/5.

Track #9, I Don't Have To Try: The song title doesn't give me much hope. Yeah, I was right. Avril, I don't care that you don't care, this song is bad lyrically. I wouldn't be so harsh on the lyrics of this album if it was her first album, if she wasn't an adult when this was released, if her previous album wasn't much better lyrically, and if there was only a handful of songs that were like this. A whole album of them? No. Just no. There comes a time when you have to grow up, whether you like it or not. Glad that her newer albums have begun to embrace that. Seriously wondering if she wanted to release this or if her label was trying to cash in on her "rebellious teen girl" image. Like I said earlier, there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing a song like Girlfriend, it's all just fun. But attempting to put together a whole album of Girlfriends? You should just stick to being a singles artist if you go through with that plan. 2.5/5.

Track #10: One Of Those Girls: Man this sounds like a Disney song. Which is actually kind of a compliment for this album. The lyrics aren't as horrifically bad as the track before. It really seems like it would fit better on Let Go though. It's much less pop than other songs on the album. 3.5/5.

Track #11, Contagious: So there is a little bit of a heightening in quality towards the end of the standard album? Interesting. Again, like the song above, the lyrics are still kind of immature, but it's not the type of immature that makes you want to throw the CD out of the airlock. I'm kind of enjoying this one. It's catchy. 4/5.

Track #12, Keep Holding On: I adore this song. One of her best really. It's too bad it's stuck on such a mediocre record. 5/5.

Track #13, Alone: One of the two songs on the limited edition of the album. This is nothing like I was expecting. I was hoping for something a little more personal/emotional like some songs from Under Your Skin. I don't know why I expected that, considering the rest of the album. It's a very average song. Would have preferred it in the place of some songs on the standard though. 3.5/5.

Alone:

Track #14, I Will Be: Another song from the limited edition. If you've never heard it and are wondering why it sounds so familiar it's because Leona Lewis released it as a single a few years back. Now THIS is what I would expect from Avril at this stage of her career. I understand why it went to Leona/is just a bonus track. It doesn't fit Avril's "image" at this point....which is so sad. Would've made a wonderful single. 4.5/5.

I Will Be:

The Best Damn Thing (Album audio)

Spotify Link

I have no idea why Spotify doesn't have an embed option anymore....that's just stupid. I'll have to make an album playlist on YouTube & link it when I have time.

I'm honestly not sure what I was expecting from this album, but whatever it was I sure didn't get it. Even though it doesn't seem like it from this, I do like Avril a lot, which is why I'm being so harsh on this album. Out of her albums I've heard so far (haven't listened to Goodbye Lullaby in full yet), this is absolutely the worst. I'm very disappointed. 3/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment