Sunday, March 15, 2015

84LY - Girls Secret Party

I'm pretty sure that I posted on this CD last time too, but I don't really remember. I really don't have any particular interest in this group. I bought the CD cheap from one of YesAsia's sales. All I really know about the group is that they haven't released anything else since this album. If I were to guess, they have disbanded.

Track #1, 84LY Style: I don't get why K-pop groups make intros seem like actual songs. It's so awful. You get into it and then it ends. Prime example: Sistar's Here We Come. I'm forever bitter that it's not an actual song. 84LY's intro is much more "intro-like". Not particularly interesting.

Track #2, Girl Talk: This is the main song of the mini album. Not a big fan of the chanting of "this is 84LY Style", but for a really unknown "indie" (I realize this isn't the correct terminology here, but I don't know how else to describe what's in my head.) group, it's pretty good. The vocals are a little over-autotuned, but the music sounds well produced enough. 4/5.

Track #3, Pride: I don't think this is better than Girl Talk, but I do think it would have made for a better first single for promotion. It has less autotune, and it seems like a song that is more mainstream. They could have done a cute music video for it and maybe they could have gotten some attention. The song is very catchy as well which would have helped. 4/5.

Track #4, Papillion: Butterfly: My favorite of the three songs. It's a little over-autotuned in some parts like in Girl Talk, but I think it takes the best parts of that song and Pride and mashes it into this song. It's not super special, it's your typical K-pop song from 2012, but I find it to be very high quality for a very unknown new group from a small company. 5/5.

Track #5, Girl Talk Instrumental: Just the instrumental. Eh.

84LY - Girls Secret Party (Audio only):

For a debut from a group from a small company, it's actually pretty strong. It's sad that they didn't at least release one more song. They had quite a bit of potential. 4/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment