Monday, February 2, 2015

High School Musical Cast - High School Musical

Yes. Yes I know. Laugh all you want it's okay. I said that I was going through my CD collection for this blog to actually force myself to write and gosh darn it I'm going to do just that. Even if it means reviewing things that were popular when I was in middle school. Although to be completely fair....earlier last year I had a High School Musical marathon by myself and loved every minute of it (I'm 21). No shame xD You've certainly got to give Disney credit for the mega franchise that they started. Too bad they had to go ruin it by making the third one into an actual movie and not continuing the franchise after it.

Track #1, Start Of Something New: I've always found it tragic that none of the High School Musical stars are doing much in music nowadays. Especially Vanessa Hudgens. I've always really loved her voice and I think if she'd have released music with a label not Hollywood Records she could be doing well right now. This was such a great way to start the movie....I can still remember 7th grade me fangirling over how cute they were as a couple. Anyone else find it so sad that Drew Seeley (the one who actually did the vocals for Troy in the first movie) never got any credit? He was utilized so much by Disney around this time and never really got anything out of it. I really liked him and he was very handsome. I wonder what he's up to now. [Note of randomness: looked him up, discovered he was in Stuck In The Suburbs. Very shocked....ADORED that movie when it came out. Watched it over and over....mainly because the singer guy was hot. Don't even remember his name but he was hot. It wasn't Seeley though.] But anyway....about the song? Really nothing special as a song, but it works well for the opening number of the movie. 4/5.

Track #2, Get'cha Head In The Game: Sometimes the suspension of disbelief is difficult to use in movies. This scene has always been one of those for me. Everyone on the basketball team thought that the drama people were stupid & they do a musical number? I get that it's a musical, but that part always bothered me. It should have just been Troy doing the number while everyone else was being normal. I guess that would have made for less interesting choreography though. Probably my least favorite number of the movie. 3/5.

Track #3, What I've Been Looking For: I always loved the part of Sharpay. She was a horrible character, but Ashley Tisdale has a lot of charisma when performing that makes you pay attention to her. It's too bad her musical career didn't really pan out either. She was the smart one that didn't stick with Hollywood Records and her music was pretty good. I guess she tried for mainstream success a little too early after HSM and it backfired. And what happened to Lucas Grabeel? Haven't heard anything about him since the movies. He's a pretty good singer too. Listening through this again reminds me how mediocre the first movie's songs are compared to the other two, and especially when compared to HSM2. 3.5/5.

Track #4, What I've Been Looking For (Reprise): The sappy scene where Troy misses the auditions for the play & Gabriella joins in! And of course they make the call backs because they're the protagonists! This scene is ridiculously cheesy and the redoing of the song doesn't help. 2.5/5.

Track #5, Stick To The Status Quo: Call me crazy, but this was absolutely my favorite song of the entire movie. I loved the entire sequence. I'll still sometimes listen to it just because. I think the even though they went for the most "outrageous" differences (like the bigger smart girl being a dancer, the sports star baking, the skater boy playing a cello.), the sequence is still really home hitting for me. I'm not going to go into why because honestly this isn't the place to ramble on about what I think of the world, but it still interests me even though it's a scene from a kids movie. 5/5.

Track #6, When There Was Me And You: Oh this song. I remember standing in my room attempting to belt out the song and record it. In retrospect, I feel really bad for my neighbors that probably heard my dying cat middle school vocals. HSM2's Gabriella/Troy breakup-sadness song is better than this one honestly. 4/5.

Track #7, Bop To The Top: So this movie came out before I listened to foreign language music, and I remember being so in awe over the fact that this song uses Spanish words that I could understand. Thanks to my middle school Spanish classes. Once again, Sharpay's sequences have the best songs. 4/5.

Track #8, Breaking Free: Also tried to belt this one out in my room. Such a cheesy song though. I feel like the climax of every Disney musical has a song that sounds like this. 4/5.

Track #9, We're All In This Together: More cheesy songs! I can literally see the entire musical number playing in my head. Of course everyone ends as wonderful friends at the end. No hard feelings at all. 4/5

Track #10, I Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You: I was so confused when I got the soundtrack and saw this song on it. I had no idea what it was because it wasn't in the movie. However, this feels like a real song. And it's a little more mature than the rest of the soundtrack so I understand why it wasn't included. 5/5.

Track #11, Get'cha Head In The Game (B5 Version): Honestly don't care for the song already and don't care about this version either. I do something wonder what happened to B5. They were a thing for a couple years on Radio Disney and then disappeared off the face of the planet. 2.5/5.

So this was much less of a music post and much more of a personal nostalgia trip. Sorry. Also, I really cringed typing in that 2006 date for this movie. Has it really been almost TEN years since this came out?! That's really not possible. It just can't be. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go cry now that I realize that the kids I teach in my Sunday school class weren't even born when this movie came out. Ouch. 4/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment