Saturday, February 14, 2015

Berryz Kobo - Romance wo Katatte/Towa no Uta

To be honest I never expected Berryz's final single to have been released in November. I was certain they were going to release one more single in the new year. It's interesting that they aren't going to, but I suppose it is best to completely focus on the final album and concert instead of promoting another single, not to mention it's a little late to put out another single now. I'm very happy that this single sold so well for them. Of course it sold like it did because it was their last single, but it's nice to see them go out with a bang instead of average.

The first track on their final single is Romance wo Katatte. This is a good song, but it's not their best from last year. It has a very Christmasy feel to it which is nice for the season it was released in. When they leave H!P, I'm really going to miss Risako's voice. I like her a lot. The music video for this is really nicely done. I think it's pretty cool how towards the end of last year, H!P was beginning to experiment with video effects. The retro music show set, the perfectly done CG effects, and the gorgeous outfits make this one of their best videos ever. 4.5/5.

The second A-side is Towa no Uta. This song is weak. Really weak. It's supposed to be like a farewell single, but it's not special in any way (at least to me). Probably their worst song in a few years. It's not bad really, just weak. It sounds like an Avril Lavigne reject from 2001. I would have preferred if instead they would have used the same music style as their very first single for their very last A-side. It would've been a cool way to wrap up their careers. The music video is weak as well. I get that it's supposed to be a homage to their first single but those outfits are horrible. If they wanted to do something plaid they should have done it right. At the very least, I guess I can say that they're a massive improvement over the things that they were forced to wear for their first single. 3/5.

Really this single doesn't feel much like a final single, but more like a "well we have to release SOMETHING for their last single....what do we have left over in the vaults?" kind of thing. Luckily one of their best songs ever is their final final song (Love Together), so musically they won't end bad. 3.5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment