Thursday, January 15, 2015

AKB48 - River

Just looking at the cover of this single, you can see how much things have changed since 2009. Out of the 16 in the Senbatsu, half of them have either graduated or announced their graduation, and I'm positive that the majority of the other 8 (besides maybe Jurina and Mayu) will be gone within the next two years. I might sound mean, but I can't wait until the older gen girls all graduate. I'm really excited to see what future Senbatsus are going to look like without members that have been there for years.

This song is probably the song that really snared me into the 48G fandom. Before listening to it in full, I did keep up with the 48s, just not like I do now. I mainly only checked title tracks and since the majority of 48G title tracks are boring, I didn't find anything really special with them. When I first attempted to listen to some of AKB's older songs and came across this, I hated it. I couldn't get past the spoken/shouted/drill sargent-y introduction. It just annoyed me SO MUCH. Then one day I was on YouTube bored and just clicked on the video for no reason. I obviously wasn't expecting anything, but listening through the whole song it just clicked. It was another Beginner/UZA type song! It's the song that caused me to go on a buying spree of AKB singles on ebay.....and when I got smarter (as in not wasting money on a billion singles when all of the songs on a single are on some albums....), I started buying the albums they had released. So I kind of credit River with really helping me to dig into their back catalog. There's still A LOT I haven't heard, but I'm working through it. The video is fantastic. I like the military theme of it. Fits the song perfectly. 5/5.

River MV

The first B-side is Kimi no Koto ga Suki Dakara. I do not know why, but every time I read that song title I sort of do a little sing-song in my head to it....even though the tune of it has nothing to do with the actual song. This is sung by the Under Girls for the single and is very typical idol pop. I don't dislike the song, it's just nothing special. Especially when compared to River. The video isn't anything special either....although it's REALLY weird seeing Rena & Rino in an Under Girls video instead of in Senbatsu. 3.5/5.

Kimi no Koto ga Suki Dakara MV

The final song on the single is Hikoukigumo, sung by the Theater Girls. The chorus is very catchy, but like with Kimi no Koto, there is nothing special about the song in their discography. The video is just a video of a theater performance of the song. 3.5/5.

Hikoukigumo MV

I do really wish that a single like River had more dynamic B-sides, but I guess if you're going to go different on the A-side (at least at this point in their career) you should have B-sides that are more like the music that you regularly put out. 4/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment